A-Level Design & Technology
By choosing to study A-Level Design & Technology or any of the available routes, you will develop a broad view of design and technology. You will also develop your ability to design, make and evaluate products as well as being able to appreciate design, materials, manufacture and marketing and the links between them.
A-Level Design & Technology
A specific arrangement of units is required for certification, made up of two AS-Level units and two A2 level units. You will study four units and the assessment for A-Level Design & Technology is by portfolio and exam.
Over the course, you will undergo at least 360 guided learning hours over a two-year period. These guided learning hours are levels set by the government on how much time the tutor at your sixth form or college has to be present to give guidance (such as lectures, tutorials etc.) towards your award.
AS-Level Design & Technology
- WJEC AS-Level Design & Technology
For the AS award, you will focus on design and innovation, product analysis, materials and components and industrial and commercial practice.
- CCEA AS-Level Technology & Design
In Product Design, Systems, and Control you will study product design, including materials within an area of system and control, such as mechanical and pneumatic control systems. In the Coursework: Product Development unit, you will focus on the analysis and development of an existing product, to redesign either the whole product or an aspect of the product.
- University of Cambridge International Examinations AS-Level Design & Technology
For your AS-Level, you will study a variety of topics, including materials, material processing, product analysis, health and safety, concepts, modelling, implementation, testing and evaluation, aesthetics and ergonomics. You will also have the opportunity to focus your studies on Product design, Practical technology or Graphic products.
A2-Level Design & Technology
The A2 Design & Technology is the equivalent of the second year of study of A-Level Design & Technology. This is not a separate award. The A2 –Level Design & Technology with the AS-Level Design & Technology makes up the A-Level Design & Technology. The A2-Level Design & Technology will further develop your knowledge from AS-Level Design & Technology.
- WJEC A2 Design & Technology
For your A2, you will study human responsibility, public interaction, processes and productions systems and control.
- CCEA A2 Technology & Design
In Systems and Control: Product Design, you will study microelectronic control systems, mechanical and pneumatic control systems, or product design in detail. In the Coursework: Product-System, Design and Manufacture you will produce a technological product or system, or if you are following the product design route, a product.
- University of Cambridge International Examinations A2 Design & Technology
You will continue your studies from your AS-Level and again focus on Product design, Practical technology or Graphic products for your A2 units.
A-Level Design & Technology Exam Board Information
- The specification for the WJEC AS and A-Level Design & Technology is available here.
- The CCEA AS-Level and A-Level Technology & Design specification is available on their website.
- University of Cambridge International Examinations A-Level Design & Technology specification is available here.
Students who study A-level Design and Technology can continue onto university to study a variety of courses, such as Product Design Technology, design Communication, Engineering Technology and Design and many others. A number of students may wish to study for teaching qualifications and other opportunities can include working in Quality Control within Manufacturing or Industry.
Other Useful Information
- There are past papers available for the WJEC AS and A-Level Design & Technology available here.
- The CCEA AS-Level and A-Level Technology & Design past papers is available on the CCEA website.
- University of Cambridge International Examinations A-Level Design & Technology past papers are available here.
- This offers a variety of Design & Technology resources.
- There is a wide selection of revision materials available here.