A-Level Business Studies
By choosing to study A Level Business Studies, you will gain a valuable insight into the world of work. You will be able to understand and appreciate the role of business in society, learn about how businesses operate, not just internally but also within local and international contexts. You will also acquire knowledge and basic enterprise skills that may help you to start up your own business.
A-Level Business Studies
A specific arrangement of units is required for certification, made up of two AS-Level units and three A2 level units. You will study four units and the assessment for A-Level Business Studies is by coursework and exams.
Over the course, you will undergo at least 360 guided learning hours over a two-year period. These guided learning hours are levels set by the government on how much time the tutor at your sixth form or college has to be present to give guidance (such as lectures, tutorials etc.) towards your award.
AS-Level Business Studies
- AQA AS-Level Business Studies
The first unit, Planning and Financing a Business will introduce you to Business Studies in the context of starting a small business. You will also explore enterprise, business plans, market research as well as financial planning and cash flows. In Managing a Business unit, you will explore how you can improve the effectiveness of a business, including market share, labour productivity and profitability.
- Edexcel AS-Level Business Studies
The Developing New Business Ideas will allow you to learn skills that will help successful business, including how new or existing businesses generate product or service ideas and test them. This unit also includes the economic climate and market competition. The second unit, Managing the Business includes basic management tools and models, with considerations around setting up, or managing a business.
- WJEC AS-Level Business Studies
The Business Framework unit offers an introduction to core Business Studies content, such as marketing and business organisations. The Business Functions unit will build on the core knowledge from the first unit, allowing complex concepts to be explored. It will also develop your knowledge of accounting and finance.
- CCEA AS-Level Business Studies
In the first unit, The competitive Business, you will acquire an understanding of business activity, business organisations, marketing and operations management. The Managing Business Resources unit will allow you to understand the impact of different management and organisation structures for businesses and their employees. You will also learn about financial information and accounting.
- OCR AS-Level Business Studies
The first unit, An Introduction to Business will allow you to develop knowledge of the nature and classification of business, objectives and other influences. In The Business Functions unit, you will learn about marketing, accounting and finance, operations management and people in organisations.
- University of Cambridge International Examinations AS-Level Business Studies
You will study, business and its environment, people in organisations, marketing, operations and project management, finance and accounting.
A2-Level Business Studies
The A2 Business Studies is the equivalent of the second year of study of A-Level Business Studies. This is not a separate award. The A2 –Level Business Studies with the AS-Level Business Studies makes up the A-Level Business Studies. The A2-Level Business Studies will further develop your knowledge from AS-Level Business Studies.
- AQA A2 Business Studies
The Strategies for Success unit will allow you to examine the setting of objectives, devising strategies and measuring performance. The Business Environment and Managing Change will build on your AS and existing A2 knowledge. You will explore how external factors can affect businesses as well as leadership, corporate culture and change management.
- Edexcel A2 Business Studies
International Business will develop your understanding of international business and its trading issues. The Making Business Decisions unit will allow you to assess businesses with performance and no performance indicators. You will also explore corporate strategies and objectives as well as risk management.
- WJEC A2 Business Studies
The Business Decision-Making unit is an overview of business strategy, how businesses assess their own strengths and respond to changes in their external environment. The Business Strategy and Practice unit focuses on how business objectives can be achieved. This includes human resources, operations management, marketing and finance.
- OCR A2 Business Studies
You are able to select two of the following five A2 units for study: Marketing, Accounting, People in Organisations, Business Production or Strategic Management.
- CCEA A2 Business Studies
In Making Business Decisions, you will be able to recognise potential conflicts between stakeholder objectives and suggest solutions to these conflicts. The Changing Business Environment will develop your knowledge or macroeconomic and international frameworks in which businesses may operate. You will also explore culture, social responsibilities and ethics.
- University of Cambridge International Examinations A2 Business Studies
This will further develop your AS knowledge of business and its environment, people in organisations, marketing, operations and project management, finance and accounting. You will additionally study strategic management.
A-Level Business Studies Exam Board Information
- The AQA A-Level Business Studies specification is available on the AQA website.
- The specification for the WJEC AS and A-Level Business Studies is available here.
- The CCEA AS-Level and A-Level Business Studies specification is available on their website.
- The Edexcel A-Level Business Studies specification is available from their website.
- The OCR AS and A-Level Business Studies specification is available here.
- University of Cambridge International Examinations A-Level Business Studies specification is available from this website.
Most people study A-Level Business Studies so that they can study Business Studies, Economics, Business Administration, Accountancy or Management degrees at university. Some students may also study to gain the knowledge and skills to set up their own business.
There are many career opportunities available, including consultancy, business journalism, project management, human resource management, operations management, retailing, manufacturing and many other roles within the varied business fields.
Other Useful Information
- Edexcel past papers and exemplar materials are available on the Edexcel website.
- AQA past papers and other resources for A-Level Business Studies are available on the AQA website.
- CCEA has past papers for AS and A-Level Business Studies here.
- OCR past papers are available on their website.
- University of Cambridge International Examinations A-Level Business Studies question papers are available here.
- NgfL Cymru has a selection of A-Level Business Studies resources for the WJEC syllabus.
- S-cool offers a selection of AS and A-Level Business Studies resources.
- Revisionworld also offer a selection of AS and A2 Business Studies resources.